Friday 26 July 2013

Guthrie and Ghani – Snap Frame Purse Workshop



      During the Great British Sewing Bee, shown on BBC2 in Spring 2013, I heard them say that the final 3 were all from the West Midlands, so I decided to do a bit of digging on them. I came across Lauren Ghani, who was opening a shop in Mosley in Birmingham. I found her website and found out that she was opening a week after the final and was running sewing classes. I asked my sister if she fancied doing one and we both decided to do the ‘Snap Frame Purse’ workshop. Lucky for us, because the week after she hit the local news and all her workshops were booked up to September.


Grand opening
Lauren and her husband Ayaz
Full shop


Workshop


Coffee area

Coffee area
Cutting table

















The shop was so nice and airy with a great selection of patterned material and haberdashery. It also has a coffee shop at the back with a great little area outside to chill out. Upstairs is the workshop and it is massive. Click here for a link to her website, and have a quick look at the blog and workshop tabs.

Our workshop was run by Lauren herself, she had only had a few classes before us in the previous weeks, and as a teacher myself she was very attentive to our needs, as we were all at different stages in the production process. Very helpful and also very keen for us to sort out our own problems out. I say this as it is very easy to take something out of your students hands and do it yourself, I myself do this, and I always kick myself later.

It was also a very small class of 6, so plenty of room and no waiting around for equipment. We all had a pattern ready for us and all our own machine, we could also choose our own materials from a box Lauren had prepared. The group didn’t know each other, bar me and my sis  and 2 other ladies, and most of us got on really well and can some great conversations.






I would highly recommend that if your newish or fancy a refresh or even just fun then book yourself onto one of her courses here!

No comments:

Post a Comment