Sunday 21 July 2013

Welcome


Welcome to my new blog, the main reason for starting this is for me to really keep track of all the little bits and bobs I make. I am relatively new to the sewing stuff, but I have always done it, more out of having to. Like holes in clothes, fixing the dogs toys or making the ferrets new sleeping hammock’s and bedding.

I do really enjoy it and would much rather sew than watch mindless TV. I have always been ‘arty’ as my mom would say and I get sooo bored if I’m not learning something new. So sewing seems a logical step.

I used to use my moms late 1970s machine but when I wanted to use it growing up my mom used to moan about gettin it out and sorting it out for me, so when she said I could have it I jumped for joy, my sister currently has it as she has the bug as well.

For a long time now I have always wanted to sew leather as I love leather jackets and it takes an average of 3 years to find one I like. So after some research I decided to get a vintage singer 306k. It is an amazing machine but not that straight in the straight stich, but a great machine to use and service. I then went to see a work friend who works in the fashion department of my college to go and grab some pattern paper. On the way into the room I saw an old Brother industrial machine and asked why it was in the store room, and to my amazement it was going to get thrown and that I can have it. However still waiting for the paper work to come through so that I can start playing. I the mean time however I decided to get  201k as my 306k needles are very rare and expensive. Even though the 201k only does straight stich it is an amazing machine to use.

My 306K

My 201K



The main reason I went vintage was as they are quite cheep and dead easy to fix. The best bit I have a fondness for is that is has little holes every where to drip some oil through, and parts are readily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment